Monday, December 26, 2011

The 1st half of December

This has been a really busy month for us (so this is a long post- you've been warned!).  The Friday after we got back from Tennessee Ben and I used a gift certificate that Uncle Lloyd got us for Christmas last year and spent the night at a bed and breakfast in Middleburg, VA.  Paige and Virginia stayed at our house with Mimi and Pops.  We enjoyed our night away and got some Christmas shopping done.

That Saturday we went to baby Adam's first birthday party.  I forgot the camera so we don't have any pictures, but we had a great time.  Paige and Virginia got to play with Kendall and Tessie and Ben and I got to talk to their parents.  We had good food, good fun and yummy cake.  Ben made a new little buddy in Kendall who apparently whenever he is mentioned in their house she says, "Ben, eat cake?"  It was a fun evening.

On Sunday Santa came through our neighborhood in a horse-drawn carriage.  He wasn't going to go in front of our house, but he did go down the street that crosses ours so we went and sat on the corner and waited for him.  Unfortunately he came by quickly and the girls only got to see him for a few seconds, which led to meltdowns.  We got them in and settled down for a nap on the couch and they were fine.  It was then that we decided I would take them to the mall to see Santa so they could give him the hugs they'd wanted to give him that day.

Hanging out on the street corner waiting for Santa.
 Here he comes!
 The first wagon
 SANTA!!!
The next Friday I took Paige and Virginia to the mall to see Santa.  They were all excited about seeing him until we were next in line and then they attached themselves to my legs.  I convinced Paige to get on his lap by reminding her that she wanted to give him a hug.  She cuddled right up with him.  Virginia, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with him.  I did manage to get her on his lap and they snapped a picture as I moved out of the frame.
 Saturday we got went to an early lunch at McDonalds (we let the girls choose) and then we went to Cox Farms to see Santa there and to get a Christmas tree.  They had some of their smaller slides and playthings from the Fall Festival set up for the kids, so Paige and Virginia played on those while Ben looked for a tree.  We also saw some goats and chickens.  Paige and Virginia wanted to see Santa, but they decided they didn't want to sit on his lap.  They did smile at him, though, so we'll take that as a win.  We got a nice, big tree and took it home to set it up.

 Virginia as a cow
 Paige as a cow
 And now Virginia's a Christmas pig
 And Paige is a Christmas pig
 Paige and Virginia in Santa's sleigh
 Frosty Paige
 Frosty Virginia
 Paige and Virginia sledding!
 Virginia Rose
 Virginia, Paige and the goats
 Hanging with the gingerbread girl and boy
 Paige and Virginia with our Christmas tree, before ornaments.

That night was the annual Christmas party at baby Tessie's house.  Ben wasn't feeling well so the girls and I went for awhile.  We had fun!  The girls played with Tessie's toys- some of which used to be theirs, although I'm not sure they knew that-, Tessie and Adam.  I had a good time talking with Mollie and Jess, baby Adam's mom.  When we left I thought Paige and Virginia would be asleep within minutes, but instead they stayed awake the whole way home talking pretty much the whole time.

Sunday Dee and Dude came over and baked Christmas cookies with Paige and Virginia.  We made sugar cookies, snickerdoodles (Dude's favorite), gingerbread cookies, Rice Krispy treats and oatmeal cookies.  It was messy, but a lot of fun.
Dude, Virginia, Paige and Dee starting the cookies
 Paige and Dee
 Dude and Virginia
 A flour covered Paige and Virginia
 Shirtless cookie decorators
 After Dee and Dude left and Paige and Virginia napped we decorated the Christmas tree.  This year has been a lot of fun seeing Christmas through the eyes of two 3 year olds.  The holiday season is definitely more exciting with children.
Daddy and Paige starting to decorate the tree
 Mommy holding Virginia so she can put on an ornament
 Paige putting on an ornament
 Virginia decided to sit down while putting on ornaments





No comments: