Anyway, back to last weekend. On Wednesday Mimi and Pops took Paige and Virginia out to West Virginia with them to prepare for the reunion. Ben and I got a night to ourselves to celebrate our anniversary, which we did by going to see "Dark Knight Rises." Thursday (our 9th wedding anniversary) after lunch we headed out to WV. Uncle Lloyd was already there with Mimi and Pops and the girls. All of the Tennessee folks came over to Mimi and Pops' house for dinner that night. We had pizza for dinner and for dessert we had this beautiful cake that was decorated by Mimi with sprinkles courtesy of Paige and Virginia. It's kind of hard to read because of the sprinkles, but it says, "Happy Anniversary Mommy and Daddy."
Ben and I with our anniversary cake.
Justin and John hanging out on the deck.
Virginia and Paige enjoying their cake.
Thursday night was a rough night. After everyone left we tried to get the girls to bed and that took awhile. I think they finally went to sleep around 10 or so, but didn't sleep well. Which, of course, means Ben and I didn't sleep well either, but that's okay.Friday morning Ben, Uncle Lloyd and I had plans to go hiking with Rob and Leigh and their kids. Virginia and Paige decided to start their morning fighting over Pops' chair. I thought I could get a cute picture of them in the chair together, but they chose to fight instead.
Hiking. We went on about an hour long hike in Cacapon State Park.
Carson was the lucky one on the hike- Rob carried her in a backpack for most of the hike.
All of the kids that hiked with us after the hike:
Carson, Caleigh, Elizabeth and Mason
And the adults that hiked:
Leigh, Rob, Lloyd, Ben and Tobi
When Paige and Virginia were in WV for Mimi and Pops camp they had expressed interest in going paddle boating on the lake at the state park. We decided that after our hike on Friday we'd take them out in a boat. So when we finished our hike we called Mimi and Pops and they came and met us with the girls. The cousins all also decided to go paddle boating, so Ali, John and Justin came and met us at the lake, too.
Virginia, Ben, Tobi and Paige in our life vests ready to go out on our boat.
Heading out from the dock.
Pedaling along
The Stivers family on their boat.
Rob and Leigh were smart and had Caleigh and Mason pedal the boat.
The Umbarger family on their boat.
Soon after this they moved seats so that Elizabeth took over pedaling from John.
On our way back to the Treehouse after paddle boating we saw a mommy dear and her twin fawns.
After paddle boating we went back to the Treehouse for baths and naps. That night we went to the house where the rest of the family were staying for dinner. Paige and Virginia had a great time playing with their cousins while Ben and I had fun socializing with the adults.
Caleigh giving Paige a kiss on the cheek.
Caleigh and Elizabeth
Carson (picture taken by Virginia)
Justin (picture taken by Virginia)
Paige
Paige getting accosted with tickles by John and Pops
Carson and Paige with their (or their mom's) Apple products.
Paige trying to get Carson's attention.
Friday night was a much better night. We all slept through the night. Even Jefferson didn't keep Ben and I awake.Saturday morning we met the rest of the family at the Cacapon River for some wading and water time. Paige and Virginia had been there before with Mimi and Pops, but none of the rest of us had been there. We'll be going back, though. It was great. The water was a really nice temperature and it was the perfect depth for the kids to be able to play without too much worry. I think everyone who came (which was everyone but Uncle Lloyd and Aunt Beth) enjoyed the time we spent there. We all agreed we should have brought lunch with us and had a picnic there, but since we hadn't we all had to leave at lunch time, which made everyone sad.
Paige and Virginia were the first ones to check out the water.
Justin swimming in the river.
Virginia floating in her innertube. I love the view of the river and mountains in this picture.
Caleigh and Elizabeth were wonderful with Paige and Virginia.
These four had so much fun playing in the water together.
Cousins!
We all walked up to the other side of the bridge to check out the water over there. This is how the youngest ones walked over.
Justin, Carson, Virginia, Caleigh, Paige and Elizabeth
Playing in the shallow water
Carson
How cute is she?!
Elizabeth had a little difficulty walking back upstream. She also then lost a shoe and had to further downstream to get it. Caleigh made sure she didn't lose Paige and Virginia as they walked back.
Paige, Caleigh and Virginia in the river.
After the morning at the river (well, for two of them) the four Rowland men all took a nap in the living room.
Uncle Lloyd, Ben, Jefferson (on Ben's lap) and Pops
Saturday night everyone came to the Treehouse for dinner. We also took pictures for our annual calendar that night. I think this one (that wasn't posed) was the cutest picture of the night: Paige, Carson and Virginia.
I'm the only one with a November birthday so I'm always alone on the November page of the calendar. Well, I decided I didn't want to be alone on the 2013 calendar, so I made Jefferson be in my picture with me.
The October birthdays (and Virginia and Paige) were being super silly in their picture.
Ali, Caleigh, Carson, Virginia, Paige and Ben.
The youngest generation.
Virginia was not in the mood for pictures. That's what happens when she doesn't get a long enough nap.
As usual we had a terrific time all together. We all look forward to these reunions and I'm so glad we started doing them each year. Most of us (minus Uncle Lloyd) will all be together again at Thanksgiving. I know Paige and Virginia can't wait to get to hang out with their cousin again!
No comments:
Post a Comment