Friday, May 15, 2009

Mother's Day, first fevers and a trip to the playground

Last weekend was Mother's Day. Ben and I wanted to do something special for our moms since they have been so great to us over the last year (and our entire lives). We knew it needed to be something involving the girls, but didn't want to do something like photo books since we did that for Christmas. So we decided to get the girls to do an art project for their grandmothers. We decided on finger painting. They weren't real big fans of finger painting, but they did make some pretty pictures for their grandma and mimi.
Paige and Virginia smiling for the camera


Paige finger painting. Yes, that is paint on her cheek.
Virginia thought she was supposed to eat the finger paint.
Paige and Virginia's paintings for Grandma Cindy
Paige and Virginia's paintings for Mimi
For Mother's Day we went to my parents' house and had lunch with my parents, Ben's parents and my grandparents. We had a great afternoon! The girls were wonderful. They slept on the way out there and on the way back and were in a great mood while we were there.
Mimi, Tobi, Virginia, Great-Grandma Denick, Grandma Cindy and Paige
Great-grandma Denick with Paige and Virginia
Me with my girls on my first Mother's Day!
Paige/Virginia
Paige and Virginia with their Mimi
Paige and Virginia with Grandma Cindy
For Mother's Day Paige and Virginia (with Mimi's help) decorated a bird house for me. They put their thumbprints all over it and Mimi drew little pictures with the thumbprints. It's really cute and I love it!
Me with my birdhouse

My birdhouse

Last week, a few days before Mother's Day, Paige and Virginia had their first fevers. Ben's mom and I basically watched the fevers come on. The girls got up from their afternoon nap right before I got home from work. Nancy and I brought them downstairs and they played a little bit. Then we noticed that they started looking flushed and started getting fussy and clingy. I took their temperatures and Paige's was 102.1 and Virginia's was 101.5. Ben and I gave them some Tylenol and decided to just keep an eye on them.

While Ben was fixing dinner I sat on the floor with Paige and Virginia. They were so tired that they both fell asleep in my arms. Here's a picture of them.
We went about our normal evening routine, with a lot more cuddling with the girls than normal. I took their temperatures again before bedtime and they had both gone up just a little bit. We decided to let them sleep and see how they were in the morning. I stayed home from work until they got up and I knew they were alright. Their temperatures were down in the morning, but still a little high. Nancy and I cuddled with them until they were ready to get down. By about 9am they were both playing on the floor, just like normal, so I went to work. Their fevers went away that day and we haven't had any issues with them since. I have no idea why they got them, but I'm glad they went away and we have their first fevers out of the way!

A couple of weeks ago my mom found a playground in our neighborhood that we can take the girls to. I took them over there the day after Mother's Day. They LOVE the swing! And they fit in it together perfectly.
Paige and Virginia in the swing

Paige and Virginia loving the swing!
I took a couple of videos on the girls in the swing. This shows just how much they really loved it! We had Jefferson with us, of course, so you can hear him panting in the video. The girls also went down the slide a couple of times, but I couldn't get pictures of that since I had to hold on to the girls.

No comments: