Monday, June 1, 2009

Cookout at the Buckley's!

We went to a cookout on Saturday evening at Beth's parents' house. It was a lot of fun! Beth's sister, Katie, and her husband(Jeff) and 2 sons(Britton and Emmitt) were in town so they were there along with one of Jeff's friends and his girlfriend, Beth's parents, her sister Annie, and Beth and James. Beth and James were the only ones that had met the girls, so it was nice to be able to take them and show them off.

When we got there the girls were being really shy. They were clinging to Ben and I, and Virginia kept pouting and looking like she was going to have a breakdown at any minute. It didn't take them long to get warmed up to everyone, though. They took to Beth after just a few minutes, and shortly after that were hanging out with Katie and her boys. From there they were okay with everyone.

We took all of the children out to play in the front yard and, man, did the girls enjoy it. Ben and I sat down in the grass with them and after sitting and watching the boys run around a little bit, they decided to start crawling around the yard. They found the balls that the Buckleys had put out for the children and starting crawling after those. They were all smiles out there on the lawn, which was a nice change from the strange looks they'd been giving inside.

Beth, Virginia and Paige

Virginia and Paige with the big green ball (we may have to get a ball like that)
Virginia with the big green ball

Paige and the big green ball
Paige looking off in the distance (probably at Britton and Emmitt),
Virginia showing off how she can kneel
After playing in the front yard, it was time to eat. The girls did great. They ate their purees with their daddy acting as high chair and me feeding them. They had a hot dog and some pasta salad for their real dinner. They didn't make too big of a mess. Then they hung out with Beth and Annie so that Ben and I could eat. The food was great! The burgers were nice and juicy and all the sides were wonderful, especially the fruit salad. Of course, if you know me, you know I LOVE fruit, so it's a given that I would love the fruit salad.

Then it was play time again. The girls played inside with the boys for a little while. Paige and Virginia really seemed to like the cars and trucks that the boys had to play with. That made Ben happy. I think he was afraid of having a house with all dolls and no matchbox cars, but I don't think that will be the case in this house. Of course, having a big brothers, I played with all the boy toys growing up. I'm fine with my daughters playing with them.

Back out on the deck Britton was trying to be a little gentleman and got chairs for the girls. He was so cute. He went and got little camp chairs and set them up for Paige and Virginia. And then he said in a lawn chair between them. Beth and I sat where we could keep a hand on the girls, but they seemed to love the chairs. Yet another thing we'll probably have to get for them at some point.

The children in their chairs
Beth, Virginia, Britton, Paige, Tobi

Virginia, Britton, Paige

Virginia and Britton

Emmitt! How cool is that hair?

How sweet is this picture?!
Beth and Virginia giving each other adoring looks.
I love how much these girls love their Auntie Beth.

The boys played in the yard for awhile- which was quite a feat since when we got there Emmitt wouldn't go in the grass (city boy!), but by the end of the evening he was all over it, thanks to his grandpa! They were having a great time running around with Alex and their grandpa and their mommy.

Then it was present time. Emmitt turns 2 tomorrow, so we had a little birthday party for him. He opened his presents (all the while Britton was trying to get Ben to go play inside with him, jealous much?). He got some cool books it looked like. And then cupcake time! Paige and Virginia did not have cupcakes. We'll save cake for them for their birthday next, I mean, this month (eek!). Then we got the girls changed into their pajamas, fed them their bedtime bottles and headed home.

Unfortunately, that didn't work out the way, I'd hoped. I was thinking they would fall asleep in the car and then we could just bring them in and put them in their cribs. No such luck. Paige cried most of the way home, and then finally fell asleep for the last 15 minutes or so. Then was wide awake when we got home. Virginia slept most of the way, only to wake up just before we got home. We got home about 8:40. I put Virginia in her crib about 9:30. Poor thing kept falling asleep in my arms, only to be awakened by her sister, so I put her in her crib awake. She fussed and talked for a little while and then fell asleep. Paige, on the other hand, was up until 10:30! She finally fell asleep laying on the couch with me. And then, finally, Ben and I could go to bed. But then the girls were nice enough to sleep until 8:30 or so yesterday morning, so that was really nice.

On a completely unrelated, but exciting, note- we have a cleaning company starting today! One of my mother's day presents from Ben and the girls was someone to clean the house. I wasn't holding my breath on Ben getting it set up, but he already has! They're going to come every other Monday, starting today. I cannot wait! I am so looking forward to living in a clean house and not having to be the one to clean it!

No comments: