Saturday, April 25, 2015

Ice Skating Lessons

In January Virginia and Paige started taking ice skating lessons at the Ashburn Ice House.  Their skating progress has been really impressive.  They started out by learning how to fall and also how to keep from falling if they're starting to lose their balance (you reach for your knees, if you were wondering).  They've gone from basically marching on the ice to now being able to glide and lift one foot while skating.  They can even skate backwards!

Virginia and Paige all ready (aside from Paige needing her helmet) for their first lesson!
 
 Learning how to fall down and get back up at their first lesson.
 Paige showing off her skating skills.
 Virginia managing to not fall.
 Working on their swizzles with the Beanie Babies on the ice.
 One Saturday after their lesson and lunch we went to a public skating session with Dee and Dude.  Ben and Dee only lasted a couple of laps before they decided to just sit and watch the rest of us skate.  Paige and Virginia found a friend from school who skated with them.  They had a great time.  And so did I since I hadn't been on skates in more than 15 years but after a few minutes I was perfectly comfortable on the ice.
Paige and Dude skating together
 Paige skating with Dude with Virginia behind them.
 Paige and Virginia had asked for a year or so to go ice skating, but with them not being able to skate and Ben also not being a skater, I wasn't sure how I could take them.  I kept meaning to get Dude to go with us, but never got around to it.  Now that they've taken lessons, though, I know I can take them alone.  We actually event went to a public skating session on a snow day and it was great!

And now for some videos of Paige and Virginia skating.


No comments: