When they got up at 6:30 and I felt them I decided I was not going to work- at least not on time. Virginia's temperature when she got up was 103.0 and Paige's was 100.8. Ben's mom came over since it was her day to watch the girls so she and I were both here with them in the morning. It was great having two pairs of hands and two laps since both girls were pretty clingy and wanted to be held. Thankfully they LOVE their Mimi, so they were okay with her holding them and didn't both have to have Mommy all the time. We got their temps down before their morning nap, so after we put them down I went in to work. Paige's temp was up after morning nap, but Virginia's was down. Unfortunately by the time I got home and they got up from their afternoon nap, they were both back up to about 103.0. But once again I got them down before bedtime. I'd talked to the doctor's office again on Wednesday and the nurse told me to call the next day if they still had fevers. I guess the third day of a fever is when they start to get concerned.
So on Thursday they still had fevers. I called the doctor's office right after they opened and got appointments for the girls for that afternoon. I e-mailed our moms to let them know what was going and shortly thereafter got an e-mail from Ben's mom offering to go with me. I'm so glad she went! By the time we got there Paige's temp was up and she was miserable. I don't know how I would have managed had I been there alone since Virginia was all over the place and Paige needed to be cuddled. They did strep and flu tests on both girls. All the tests came back negative, but apparently there is a high rate of false negatives on the flu test and the nurse practitioner we saw thought Paige looked like someone with the flu, so she gave me prescriptions for Tamiflu for both girls. Paige was so miserable at the doctor that they gave her some Tylenol. Of course, by the time we went to the doctor Virginia's temperature was normal (and has stayed down since). Awhile their afternoon nap both girls were back to acting like their normal selves. It was great to see. They were doing well enough that Ben and I felt comfortable going to a concert last night. Granted, we didn't leave until the girls were in bed, and they were staying with their Mimi so we knew they were in good hands, but if Paige hadn't started looking better, I'm not sure we would have gone. But we did and it was a great show! We saw The Gaslight Anthem. If you don't know them, check them out.
The girls seemed to be doing well when they got up this morning (at 9am!). They ate a really good breakfast and played this morning like they always do. This afternoon I had a dentist appointment and was hoping to get my hair cut afterwards. I told Ben I would call when I was done at the dentist and when I did he told me Paige was laying on the floor on her blankets and he thought she might be asleep. Turns out she had fallen asleep there, quite possibly because her temperature had gone back up. When I got home (I skipped the hair cut) and took it her temperature was 102.4, the highest we'd seen in awhile. I gave her some Motrin and cuddled with her for awhile. She took her afternoon nap and cuddled with me for awhile more after that, but after dinner she perked back up. She played on the floor with her sister and seemed to be doing well. I took her temperature before bedtime and it had gone up a little. It had been down to 99.6, but before bed was back up to 100.4, which isn't bad, but isn't the direction we wanted it to go. So now we just wait and see what it's like in the morning. If she still has a fever we have to call the pediatrician again.
As it happens I have appointments for the girls to get the second part of their flu shots tomorrow at a flu clinic at the hospital. I asked the nurse practitioner about it yesterday and she said that as long as they do not have fevers tomorrow they can get their flu shots. Right now it looks like Virginia may be getting hers, but probably not Paige. But we'll just have to wait and see how she's doing in the morning. Hopefully her fever will have broken for good and she'll be able to get her flu shot.
Virginia looking miserable with her fever
No comments:
Post a Comment