Friday, October 30, 2009

Daddy's 30! And another first.

Yesterday was Daddy's 30th birthday! He's now officially "old" like Mommy! We had a nice, relaxing evening at home for Daddy's birthday. We don't like to plan things for Tuesday or Thursday nights since we don't know what kind of moods the girls are going to come from daycare in, so we made sure to just stay home last night. The girls were in great moods last night, thank goodness!

We did have another first last night, though. We've been having a number of firsts recently: first ER visit, first real illness, first prescriptions. And now we can add first vomiting episode to that. Lucky us. At dinner last night Virginia started to gag on her food. This happens at pretty much every meal and they get whatever it is out of their throats and they're fine. Well last night when Virginia got the pasta out of her throat, with it came everything else she'd eaten for dinner and lunch, projectiled all over herself, her high chair and the floor. I'm very happy to report that we all stayed calm when this happened. Ben and I were sure to make sure Virginia was alright and then we started cleaning up. Well, I started cleaning up- since it was Ben's birthday he just got the job of getting cleaning supplies for me. I got everything cleaned and got Virginia changed. She was fine, happy as could be. You'd never know by looking at her that she'd just vomited everywhere. And she was hungry, so we gave her some more food, hoping that this was just a one time thing. Well apparently we shouldn't have given her more food because it wasn't long before we got to see that again. This time she'd been sitting in my lap, so we both needed our clothes changed. Virginia was still happy. While I was changing she was running around upstairs laughing. She was even still hungry, but there was no way we were giving her more food. She actually cried and reached for food while Paige finished eating. But as soon as Paige finished eating Virginia was fine.

After dinner Daddy opened his birthday presents and cards. He loved his presents. We got him a Wii Active, an Edgar Allen Poe "Dropout" t-shirt and a collage of pictures of the girls (see pictures below). Then we played some more, Ben got a few phone calls, and then it was time for bedtime bottles. We kind of debated whether or not to give Virginia milk, but decided to go ahead and give her some. She needed to have something in her stomach so that she would sleep, and we figured if she did vomit again milk wouldn't be too bad to clean up. We've done that before. Anyway, she did fine with her milk. She drank it all down and kept it down. She woke up a time or two before 11pm, but went back to sleep on her own and slept the rest of the night.

After we put the girls to bed, Ben and I watched tv and played Yahtzee, nothing too exciting. Tonight we're celebrating his birthday. He and I are going out to dinner while my mom (and maybe my dad) stays with the girls and then we're going to a concert. A band we really like is doing a small tour celebrating the 10th anniversary of the release of one of their albums and they happen to be playing the 9:30 Club tonight. Going to that concert was one of the things Ben wanted for his birthday, so we're going. It should be a good time.

About a month ago I was reading online and found instructions for making a tutu. It sounded pretty simple and I was intrigued, so I wanted to make tutus for the girls. I had no reason to make them, though, so I had to figure out a reason. I decided I would make them for the girls and then take pictures of the girls for Ben for his birthday. I was right, the tutus were very simple to make and they turned out really cute! I was planning on printing one good picture for Ben, but I didn't get any "great" pictures, so I decided to use several and make a collage for him. I used photo editing software and played with some effects on the pictures and the collage ended up looking pretty good.
This is the collage.
The individual (unedited) pictures are below.
I put the girls in their tutus in the living room, but wanted to take pictures of them in the dining room, so I asked them to come into the dining room. Virginia (in purple) started walking towards the dining room and then stopped and held her hand up. Paige came up and took Virginia's hand and they started walking while holding hands. I was so glad I had the camera in my hands! I only got one picture of them holding hands, but one is better than none.

My original plan was to get pictures of them holding a "3" and a "0" for Daddy's 30th birthday. The girls were not interested in holding the numbers. This is the only picture I got of them holding the numbers and you can't really read the numbers- and they wouldn't look at the camera. Paige has the "3" and Virginia has the "0."
This is the best picture I got of them. Paige and Virginia looking sweet in their tutus.
I didn't really like the way the sun was shining in on Virginia in the dining room, so I decided to try to get pictures in the living room. Well, the girls would not cooperate and stand together, so I took a couple of them alone, but they weren't smiling. Oh well, they're still cute.
Paige

Virginia

The girls got up early this morning (6:30!) so I fed them an early breakfast. I figured Virginia had to be hungry and Paige probably was, too. They definitely were hungry! They ate a bunch of pancakes and Cheerios. I wanted to be sure to give them something starchy so that it would hopefully sit well in Virginia's stomach. Good news- Virginia kept everything down! So I guess last night was just a fluke. Good thing, too, because we're supposed to be going to meet Ben and some of his coworkers for lunch today.

Tomorrow is Halloween so we will be putting the girls in their costumes and taking them to a few houses. We'll be sure to post pictures this weekend. And then on Sunday we're having a birthday lunch for Ben with our parents. It's going to be a busy weekend! I really hope these girls sleep in tomorrow for us.

No comments: