Monday, May 31, 2010

The Beach Day 1

We drove down to the beach on Sunday. The girls did great for the car ride, thanks in part to the new travel Magna Doodles we got for them. They had a great time drawing on those. They took short naps and kind of watched parts of "The Lion King." We got down here about 12:30 and had lunch at Awful Arthurs where we realized Paige was running a fever and gave her some Motrin. We couldn't get into the house until 4pm, so after lunch we headed down to the outlet mall for a little while with Ben's parents. We all got a few things there and then it was time to head to the house. That was when we had our only real breakdown of the day. Virginia did not want to get back into her carseat and ended up crying for most of the trip to the house- until she fell asleep. We hung out in the car and waited for Ben's parents to get here with the key and Virginia napped.

By the time we got into the house the girls were ready to run. They had a great time running around the house and going out on the deck. Virginia went for a walk down to the beach, but not onto the sand, with Pops. We got barbecue carry out for dinner, which was delicious. Virginia ate some of it, but Paige wasn't having it. She wasn't feeling well, so we didn't push it. She didn't eat too much of anything on Sunday. I took her temperature a couple of times and it topped out at 103.7, so before bed she got another dose of Motrin. Around 8:15 or so we put the girls to bed and they went to sleep after only crying for a few minute. We heard a little crying off and on for a while, but nothing from the time we went to bed (around 10) until Virginia woke up and was crying loudly around 2:30. She ended up sleeping for the rest of the night in bed with us. The rest of the night being until she woke up for the day about 5:45. Then I brought her upstairs and let Ben and Paige sleep. I think Ben finally got Paige up just before 9.

After Paige got up Mimi fixed breakfast for everyone. Paige had some milk and then wanted me to hold her. She started coughing (she has a cold) and all of a sudden all of the milk came back up, all over me. Ben helped us get cleaned up and I changed our clothes. After that Paige seemed to be feeling a little better. She didn't eat breakfast, but after breakfast started playing and was acting well enough that we decided to take her out on the beach.

Around 10:30 we headed for the beach. The girls loved it! On the way to the canopy on the beach Virginia kept picking up handfuls of sand. She had to make sure she had some so that she could show us what she'd found. We set up a baby pool under the canopy and put some water in it. That was a big hit. The girls had a great time putting sand in the pool and taking water out of it. They also really enjoyed their new beach chairs. Virginia liked being down at the water's edge and having the water hit her legs, but Paige wasn't a big fan of that. I took Paige down there and the first wave that hit her scared her a bit and from then on she just wanted to be held. I was happy to oblige. The girls also enjoyed sitting in their pool and playing with the water. Mimi has a great selection of beach toys and the girls love them.

We came in shortly before noon and got the girls bathed and ate lunch. Then it was nap time. They napped for about 2 hours and then got up and played some more. Paige is kind of up and down. Sometimes she acts fine and runs around playing and other times she needs to be cuddled and just looks miserable. I think she just has a cold because her nose is running like a faucet and she's sneezing and coughing. We went out to dinner tonight and she ate some of her dinner- mainly crackers and french fries, but that's better than nothing. After we got home from dinner the girls got in their pajamas, had some milk, played for a bit and then went to bed. Once again after a few minutes of crying they were asleep. Hopefully they'll both sleep well tonight and so will Ben and I.

We've taken plenty of pictures, but I forgot to get the cord out of the girls' bedroom, so I can't download pictures tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to upload some pictures tomorrow. I'm picking up a wireless network, but it's not very strong, so I don't know how much luck I'll have uploading pictures. I hope to at least be able to add a few.

No comments: