Monday, August 19, 2013

Waynesboro and Charlottesville

I had to go to Charlottesville for a work meeting on Friday morning so the girls and I packed up on Thursday and after school/work we headed to Grandma D and Rufus' house for the night.  We went out to dinner with them and hung out and talked on the porch for awhile before bed.  The next morning we were up early to head to Charlottesville.  After my meeting we headed over to the University of Virginia so I could show the girls around grounds.

Paige and Virginia building forts with cushions on Grandma D and Rufus' screened in porch.
Paige trying to take a picture of the two deer across the street.
My babies with their great-grandparents.
The girls did great during my meeting- of course, I'm sure the donuts helped with that.  They just sat, ate, drew and colored.  They were happy when it was time to leave, though.  We headed over towards UVA and we drove by where I lived my 3rd and 4th years of college, where Ben and I worked when we met, where Ashtree was found and Ben's fraternity house.  Then we finally got to grounds and parked by the bookstore.  We decided to start off by heading down toward first year dorms.

Paige and Virginia loved all of these little walls on which they could walk.
Paige in front of Page dorm- Ben's first year dorm.
Paige and Virginia in front of my first year dorm.
Paige and Virginia hanging out by the entrance to the football stadium.
We saw two guys working on lining the field while we were peeking through the fence.
Silly girls by the Carl Smith Center sign.
Virginia showing off how her name is on all of the signs.
Paige and Virginia in Garden VII.
Paige is standing in about the exact spot Ben and I were when he proposed.
Paige on the lawn.  At this point Virginia was done getting her picture taken.
We also went by the Chapel and actually went inside.  I think that was the first time I'd ever been in there.  It's a beautiful building, but I didn't take any pictures.  Then we also made a stop by Alderman Library.  I tried to tell the girls it wasn't like the library we go to, but they still wanted to see it.  They weren't real impressed with stacks- there were no children's books!

I made sure to take the girls to the Whisper Wall and show them how it works.  They thought that was really neat and had fun playing with it.
By that point the girls were tired of walking so we went to the bookstore to try to find shirts.  We didn't find any that we wanted so we headed to the Corner.  We grabbed some lunch at Bodo's Bagels and then headed to Mincers to find shirts.  Virginia was in heaven at Mincers- all of the shirts said her name!  She thought about getting two shirts, but ended up just getting one and also getting a small football.  Virginia also picked out a t-shirt for Ben.  Paige decided she didn't want a shirt because they all said her sister's name.  Instead she got a baseball and bat set and a frisbee.  She also picked out a pink Virginia shirt for me.

When we finished at Mincers the girls wanted to go to a playground so I found one and we headed over there.  We played there for a little while and then headed for home.  Paige and Virginia slept most of the way home since they were exhausted from our busy morning and our lack of sleep the night before.

It was a great trip to see Grandma D and Rufus and to Charlottesville.  We look forward to having Daddy with us next time we go down that way!

No comments: