Virginia and Paige at the airport ready to head to Alaska.
Eating breakfast on the airplane waiting for take off.
Uncle Todd, Aunt Sandra and Keats' house.
Paige hanging out on the ladder up to the loft of the guest house which is where we slept.

Crazy girls closing themselves in a dog crate.
I'm not sure what all they did before I got to Alaska other than run the sled dogs a little, hang out with the chickens, Dee lost a shoe in the snow and throw rocks into the partially frozen river.
I got in on Wednesday afternoon and everyone came to pick me up at the airport. We went from the airport straight to Fred Meyer's to get some groceries and the kids all also ended up with new pants thanks to Dee. Then we went out to dinner before finally heading back to the house.
Thursday morning we got up and had a leisurely breakfast before Todd decided it was cold enough outside for us to go run the dogs. I'm really glad we did because that was so much fun. When Ben and I were up there in 2003 it wasn't cold enough and there wasn't enough snow to be able to take dogs out, so this was a first for me.
Thursday morning we got up and had a leisurely breakfast before Todd decided it was cold enough outside for us to go run the dogs. I'm really glad we did because that was so much fun. When Ben and I were up there in 2003 it wasn't cold enough and there wasn't enough snow to be able to take dogs out, so this was a first for me.
My first time into the dog yard. The dogs are SUPER friendly and loving! Especially Sweetie, the tan one who is trying to eat my glove.
Me in the sled ready to go for a run while getting attacked with love by Stag and Nila.
Heading out on our run. It was so much fun!
Dee, Paige, Virginia and Diamond in the dog yard.
Todd and I stopped on run and the dogs dove right into the snow. I guess it was a bit warm for them.
The kids running a couple of dogs while Todd and I were out with our team.
Paige, Keats and Virginia checking for eggs in the chicken coop.
Thursday after lunch we headed over to Todd and Sandra's friend Kerry's house for a visit and playdate with her two girls, Evie and Jules. Kerry lives on a working farm and they have a mile long driveway. The driveway was snowy and we were concerned about getting stuck so we parked at the road end of the driveway and started walking up the driveway. Kerry drove her truck down to pick us up but Sandra and I chose to walk because it was a really nice (by Alaska standards) day. Kerry and the girls gave us a tour of their animals and the kids all had a great time playing on the trampoline before it started raining and we all went inside for a snack.
Paige and Virginia sitting on the trough in the goat pen.
Keats and Paige checking out the HUGE pigs while Evie holds one of the dogs outside.
All four kids on the trampoline.
My mom and her two kids. It's not very often we get a picture like this.
LEGOS!
I'm convinced that all dogs love Todd. He can get any dog to relax in his arms.
When we left Kerry, Evie and Jules' house we headed out to Chena Hot Springs to go swimming. Paige was tired and Keats was nice enough to let her sleep on his shoulder.
Mieze
Keats, Paige and Virginia on the sled while Uncle Todd pulls them.
Todd trying to find a good place for the kids to let the dogs pull the sled.
He found one! Virginia running two sled dogs all by herself!
Paige running Diamond and Sadie all by herself! And Nila getting in the way.
Nila was being such a pain while the other dogs were pulling the sled that Sandra decided to hook her up to the sled. This was Nila's first time as a sled dog. She did great- and was quiet which was a nice change.
Photographer Keats getting a picture of all the rest of us and a whole bunch of dogs.
Todd sure loves his sled dogs and they love him.
Selfie of Sandra and I
And a selfie of me and a couple of dogs: Tyrone and Sweetie.
Paige, Keats and Laverne
Paige, Diamond and Virginia hanging out in the cold weather dog house.
There are 12 spots in this insulated house where they put the dogs when it's REALLY cold.
Paige and her new BFF, Diamond.
Baking cupcakes for the dogs for Nila's 3rd birthday.
One of the days before I got there when everyone walked Keats to the bus stop Dee decided to sled down this little hill and lost her shoe in the snow. Friday afternoon we went out with shovels and searched for her shoe. The kids (with a little help from Todd) dug all around looking for it.
And Keats found it!
I took this on the way back from finding Dee's shoe. I love the view of their house through the trees.
As part of Nila's birthday celebration ALL of the dogs got to come inside for a little while. Talk about a house full of dogs. It was too warm in the house for them, though, so they didn't stay long.
These three siblings- Diamond, Sadie and Buddha- were born the day Todd and Sandra got married- February 28, 2004.
Friday evening Sandra and Dee went to an art show so while they were gone Todd built a fire and the kids got to roast hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire.
Seriously, Paige LOVED Diamond. I wasn't sure we were ever going to be able to get her out of the dog yard because she didn't want to leave Diamond.
The girls insisted on getting pictures with each of the dogs. I don't think I added them all here, but be prepared to be inundated with pictures of the girls with dogs.
Virginia and Diamond.
Paige, Blue and Keats
Virginia and Laverne.
Paige, Myra and Todd
Virginia and Moon
Virginia and Gretzky
Keats in a dog house!
Paige in a dog house!
Virginia in a dog house! I don't know why, but they thought getting in the dog houses was so fun.
Dee on the couch with her grandkids!
Virginia holding Mieze. Mieze doesn't look very happy, but she never complained.
And Paige with Mieze. They were so excited to be able to hold a cat since Ashtree wouldn't dream of letting them hold her.
Virginia and Paige trying on cold weather gear.
Paige and I with the cold weather gear.
We took the red eye out of Fairbanks Friday night. I believe our flight left at around 1am. We left Todd, Sandra and Keats' house around 10 to head to the airport. Paige and Virginia both fell fast asleep in the car. When we got to the airport we woke them up to get through security and then we did a little shopping in the store at the airport (had to get something for Daddy). We sat down in the terminal and they both fell asleep again. As you can see, though, they weren't the only ones asleep in the airport.
Virginia and Paige back at National Airport waiting for Dude to come pick us up.
We had a fabulous time in Alaska. I am so glad Paige and Virginia got to go up and I'm also really glad I got to make another trip up there (after 11 years) before Todd, Sandra and Keats leave for Germany. I was so impressed with how well Paige and Virginia did with traveling so far from hoem and how willing they were to use the outhouse!
Dee, thank you so much for coming up with the idea and for taking Paige and Virginia! I mean, how many kindergarteners in Virginia get to go to Alaska for spring break?!
(Todd, Sandra and Dee, if you see any dogs that I have labelled wrong let me know and I'll fix them. Some of them look too much alike for me to remember who is who.)















No comments:
Post a Comment